Getting into Cake Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive, whilst there are a myriad of tools, cutters and associated decorating bits and pieces that are nice to have you can get away with the following for most projects:
- A turntable – you can get a turntable or lazy susan from the discount shops fairly cheaply, if you budget stretches further you can also a proper cake decorating turntable from a cake decorating store.
- A sharp craft knife or scalpel – my most used tool ever.
- A sharp regular knife – used for torting (cutting into layers), levelling and carving cake.
- Tooth picks – very useful for modelling
- Paintbrush – kept exclusively for cake decorating only
- Rolling pin – used for rolling fondant
- Spatula – for ganaching cakes or icing with buttercream
- Small Palette knife – the kind used by artist for painting
- Craft mat or board – for cutting on
- Plastic wrap